I took Jacob in this week to the allergist’s to have them do a “food allergy patch test.” This is done to try to diagnose what foods are triggering the Eosinophilic reactions in EoE patients. From apfed.org “Patch testing examines for non-IgE mediated reactions. These reactions are often delayed, occurring hours to days after ingestion of the food. Many patients with non-IgE mediated reactions have difficulty in identifying the food causing the reactions.”
In this procedure pure food is prepared on little discs attached to tape which are then placed on the patients back.
These are left in place for 48 hours~ so in our case, they were applied Monday, removed Wednesday. Then on Thursday we met with our allergist to go over the results.
The discs and stickers were removed on Wednesday- [day 3]~ 9 was Wheat which we avoid as he was allergic to on earlier testing; 14 was Beef, which he is also allergic to. Tomato was ’20’. About 5-6 hours after removing the food- [which is simply placed on his skin- no injection etc] I let him have a bath. This is what his back looked like after the bath:
At this point I am starting to really panic, thinking “Oh great- #6 is RICE[!]”, 16 is turkey, 20 is tomato, and 21 [carrot- thus the beta-carotene stain!] But Thank goodness, by this morning all the marks were faded again. Does that mean these foods are problematic? They are noted as irritants- but our allergist said that the test results are negative for everything we tested!
My allergist said that even among the top 5 EoE Research hospitals not all of them even use patch testing- the results are too often inconclusive. Patch testing does sometimes help identify food triggers- so its worth trying if you are [like me] at a loss identifying why the eosinophil count is so high! I am relieved that the results were negative- and I just hope that on Jacob’s next GI scope [in about 4 weeks] that we see that his counts have gone down. I really dread the idea of switching him to an elemental formula diet-[which is a possibility if his counts don’t come down enough!] mainly because for a little boy who is a good eater- trying to explain why he suddenly can’t have any food to eat will be so hard!
Now where the heck is my adhesive remover?….