Kidney update #3

Please see Kidney Issues  & Kidney Issues part 2 update  for previous explanations.

I have spent the past month in limbo, awaiting the call from the surgeon about what the plan will be to address and fix Jacob’s kidney issues. I finally got the call from the surgeon yesterday afternoon. After reviewing the recent MRI of Jacob’s kidneys, (for his recent oncology scan), and consulting with oncology, nephrology, and fellow urology doctors; the plan will revolve around preserving as much kidney as possible. This means we will NOT be removing the (crappy functioning) right kidney at this time. However we do need to address the poor drainage and alleviate the hydonephrosis as much as possible. In order to do this the surgeon will be preforming a trans -uretero-urostomy. This surgery will detach the right ureter from the bladder, pull it over and reattach it to the left ureter, in a “y” shape- and both kidneys would then drain into the bladder through the one left ureter.

His surgery is scheduled to happen in the next week 1/2. He will be in the hospital for 2-3 days. Our hope is to avoid any bladder trauma/stunning to avoid the post-surgical bladder failure we have seen as post-op complications with Jacob.  This is where most of my anxiety  revolves around. IF post surgery, his bladder does not resume function, We will need to consider either a catheter or intermittent catheterization again. The intermittent catheterization would be preferable as it would allow us to know when his bladder function returns; however the idea of having to cathe him myself again, 6-7 times a day,  well- I still have PTSD from the last time we went through all this. But we do what we must and with any luck- we won’t have to even go there.  Now the other question I had was what is the back-up- back-up plan if for some reason this surgery doesn’t work, failed, or we had further issues- the next step would likely be removing the right kidney.

Jacob is in no pain or indication of illness now, which makes having to go in and do this hard, but necessary.

IMG_1011

2011 MRI scan showing the Hydronephrosis and tumors. The smaller right kidney has the more severe hydronephrosis- even more than on this scan image.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

, , ,

6 Responses to Kidney update #3

  1. Selena Bluntzer February 6, 2015 at 2:38 pm #

    I hope the procedure is a perfect success. (((((HUGS)))))

  2. Jackie B February 6, 2015 at 3:09 pm #

    Hello. I found your website because I was looking for support for being corn-free. But, after reading your post about what is happening with you and your son I wanted to let you know that your story touched my heart. I wish you all the best and pray for the health of you and your family.

    • Multiple Food Allergy Help February 6, 2015 at 3:13 pm #

      Thank you Jackie!~ Checkout http://www.cornallergens.com/ She has amazing information and resources- including what’s in her pantry- I found her site incredibly helpful when we had to eliminate corn!

  3. Jody February 6, 2015 at 5:51 pm #

    jenny- lots of prayers and hugs being sent to you all!!!

  4. Caroline February 6, 2015 at 6:30 pm #

    Jenny, your response to Jackie B is just a fine example of who you are: you keep moving forward with such love and positive energy–even to others.

    I’m really sad to hear you are going through this, but this also looks like an opportunity for solutions! Wrapping you in love galore! Please let us know when he is heading into surgery so that we can send more prayers and love!

  5. carmen kimlin February 7, 2015 at 3:47 am #

    Prayers lifted for you and Jacob. May God give you the strength in this hard times. I find your Facebook blog inspiring and gives me the strength to keep advocating for my daughter with multiple food allergies. You are an amazing mother, keep moving forward!

Leave a Reply